Sawdust pellets $8
Ground shipping: $8 »
Sawdust improves the quality of your compost and reduces odors. Our pellets our made from waste from the lumber industry, so composting them reduces landfill. They are dust free and odorless.
- add a little each time you add food waste
- add 1 cup pellets for each 5-10 cups food
- 10 lbs (4.5 kg) total weight
- should last about 6 months
Other FREE and low cost options:
- Check local sources for free sawdust or wood shavings. Lumber yards, home improvement stores, carpenters, contractors, schools, and woodworking shops are eager to get rid of this waste material. Be sure it is from untreated, unpainted wood.
- "Wood stove pellets" may be availabile at gardening and home improvement stores, especially in the winter. A 40 lb bag (18kg) will usually cost under $10 and should last two years.
- Kitty litter and cage bedding from rabbit or hamster cages can also work. Test a small sample first to be sure your brand works properly. Contact the manufacturer to be sure there are no chemicals or preservatives.
- In rare cases "brown" foods alone such as bread, rice, pasta, and peanut shells may be enough to balance "green" food items. If you experience odors or wetness, add some pellets to balance the compost.
- Contact your local NatureMill dealer for sawdust pellet options outside of the USA.
- We do NOT recommend paper, leaves, grass, or other refuse, as strong odors or jams may result.