Best Fertilizers For Strawberries 2020: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
If you are someone who gets excited by the thought of delicious strawberries from your garden, Then finding the best fertilizers for strawberries is essential.
It is imperative to understand that good strawberry plants are always hard to come by. So, focusing on their right nourishment is very important to make sure that you are getting the best yield.
The sole idea behind this article is to make you aware of the right fertilizers that you can use on your crop. Henceforth, here we have listed our top picked strawberries fertilizers and some more information about them
Top 10 Best Fertilizers For Strawberries 2020
1. Espoma Fruit & Berry Food
This fertilizer is the first recommendation on our list of the best fertilizer for strawberries. This is plant food in the granular formula.
It is also 100% organic. This fertilizer is suitable for all acid-loving citrus plants like all kinds of berries, including strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
This fertilizer carries microbes within it and works by breaking down the natural nutrients present in the soil. The nutrients get absorbed by the plants easily and help produce larger and juicier fruits with better flavor.
So, the fertilizer improves the basic quality of the soil with the help of these microbes in the long run.
This Espoma fertilizer has a slow-release method with a long-lasting effect. So, the manufacturers claim that the application of this organic plant food only twice a year will be enough.
It comes in a bag package of 4 pounds in size. If you are a fan of organic gardening, then you are going to love this product.
- Great quality
- Reasonable price
- Contains micro-nutrients
- Long-lasting effect
- Convenient packaging
- The user manual lacks clarity
2. Winchester Gardens Select Organics Berry Fertilizer
The Winchester organic fertilizer is excellent for both outdoor and indoor gardening. It initiates an overall improvement in soil quality, thereby encouraging healthy growth for the strawberries.
It is the only fertilizer that contains all-natural elements with no additives. The granulated fertilizer comes in a convenient 3-pound bag.
This strawberry fertilizer comes in a ready-to-use granulated state, making it extremely easy to apply. The package even contains a spoon for measuring so that you don’t have to worry about the proportion for use. Just put a spoonful of it at the base of your plant and pour some water, and you’re done.
The best time to apply this fertilizer to the soil is at least one month before the strawberries are set to grow in spring.
It gives organic fertilizer enough time to break down and help enrich the soil. And one more thing to remember is that you should not apply it in the winter season as the plants then prepare themselves for a sleep during the freezing weather.
- Granulated formula
- Easy and ready-to-use application
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor organic gardening
- Measuring spoon included
- More effective
- The lightweight texture makes it easy to soak water in
- It takes time to show the expected results
- Vegetarians may not be happy with it as it contains bone meal
- Not ideal for the fertigation system
3. Espoma HT18 Holly Tone
This is another best fertilizer for strawberries from Espoma. The microbes present in this fertilizer provide everything the soil requires to support the growth of your plants.
This fertilizer is again perfect for organic farming for all acid-loving plants. This fertilizer helps strengthen the roots, averts the leaves from turning yellow, and blocks the attacks from the harmful pests.
This is what makes this fertilizer different in the right way from the regular fertilizers.
The organic formula takes it slow to release the nutrients into the soil. However, the microbes, once released, leave a long-lasting effect on it.
So, you don’t have to fertilize the ground now and then for growing berries. Espoma suggests the application of this granulated fertilizer only twice a year, especially in the springs.
This product comes in a bag that is as large as 18 pounds. So, its quantity is large big enough to fertilize a sizeable firming bed.
While applying it, make sure the fertilizers reach down to the roots for the best results. For that, you need to water the plants well enough so that it can take the nutrients more in-depth into the soil.
- An excellent choice for the acid-loving plants
- Easy and hassle-free application
- Contains all-natural components
- The effects last for long
- Helps in growing healthy hydrangeas and vibrant petals
- Eco-friendly and organic solution safe for everyone
- The user manual does not have clear instructions
- A bit expensive
4. Down To Earth 6-Pound Acid Mix
This Down To Earth acid mix is one of the best fertilizers for strawberries as it is rich in all-natural ingredients.
The ingredients include kelp meal, fish-bone meal, langbeinite, rock phosphate, and cottonseed meal. This fertilizer mixture also accommodates non-plant ingredients like humic acids, which are best to support the healthy growth of your acid-loving strawberry plants.
This pack of fertilizer has 6 pounds of content, where the company recommends applying only 5 lbs. of this mixture in a plant bed with a minimum area of 100 square feet.
If you need to use any additional application, then all the detailed instructions are given with the package.
The recommendation says it is best to apply the solution initially at the beginning of the spring, and the second application should be after the plants start blooming.
The use of approximately 1 cup of this fertilizer should be enough. Don’t forget the water the pants thoroughly after putting the fertilizer to help it reach the roots.
- The ingredients are entirely organic
- It is rich in multiple nutrients
- An excellent choice for all kinds of berries and some other plants as well
- Contains odor
5. Dr. Earth Life Organic All-Purpose Fertilizer
This is yet another best fertilizer for strawberries from the brand Dr. Earth. This brand is a well-known name for a long time in every household.
It is an all-natural certified organic fertilizer. Moreover, it contains microbes that are beneficial for the plants in preparing the perfect soil for them.
This fertilizer helps in stimulating the growth of the root, which in results helps in producing fresh flowers and fruits.
The added probiotic formula of this product makes it a champion. It boosts the mycorrhizae and good microbes in working for the betterment of the soil.
On top of that, it also contains 11% humic acid. The deep-penetrating nature of this fertilizer starts working fast on your plants with a long-lasting effect on them. The application process is also straightforward and safe.
- Reliable brand
- Probiotic formula
- Safe and easy to use
- It has a safe formula for the pets and your children
- Provides nourishment to the existing plants by strengthening the roots
- Strong for indoor gardening
- Without enough water cannot work properly
6. EcoScraps Berry Plant Food
What makes the EcoScraps plant food one of the best fertilizers for strawberries is their unique reprocessing system of the leftovers from the industry of food processing and making it useful for producing fertilizers for organic farming. This decreases the landfills of wastes. Hence, it is a considerable contribution to the environment.
This fertilizer is formulated for all kinds of berries like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, etc. The distinct all-in-one granules are very easy to clean and even application.
Each particle of this plant food is fully potential to provide nutrients to the plant in a perfect balance.
The package contains 4 pounds of this product that makes it even easier to apply and store at your convenience.
The application process is given on either side of the package. This fertilizer is good for both outdoor farming and indoor potted gardening.
- Reduces landfill of waste
- Nourishes the plants
- Mainly designed for all kinds of berries
- Easy to apply
- No poop contents
- Not safe for your pets
7. Greenway Biotech Strawberry Fertilizer Powder
This fertilizer powder from Greenway Biotech is formulated explicitly for strawberries. It provides the soil with a perfect balance of potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus.
It also incorporates several minerals, such as zinc, iron, and copper. The micronutrients present in this fertilizer ensures full-grown radiant plants with big mouth-watering fruits.
The product has a certified guarantee of quality from the California Department of Food and Agriculture. It contains no harmful chemical or metal ingredients, and it is 100% eco-friendly.
This powder fertilizer is 100% soluble in water. The application process is given in detail with the product.
Apart from all the goodness of this product, this brand has many charitable associations as well to support the small businesses. All these features sum up this product to become the best fertilizer for strawberries.
- Professionally manufactured
- Good for hydroponics
- Incorporates perfect balance of micronutrients and minerals
- Eco friendly
- Guaranteed quality certification from the CDFA
- Too strong
8. Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed All Purpose Plant Food
Miracle-Gro is perhaps the most famous name for the gardening industry. The Shake ‘N Feed plant food is an all-purpose solution for plants.
It has all the natural ingredients that activate the microbes present in the soil. They break down the nutrients and make them available for the plants and support vibrant and robust growth with more productivity.
Manufacturers recommend applying this fertilizer every three months to get the best result out of this. You can directly apply it to the soil.
Per 10 square feet area needs just about half a cup of this fertilizer. After applying evenly into the soil, lightly mix the soil for even distribution in all the regions. And finally, water the soil and the plants thoroughly to make it penetrate deep into the soil.
- Extremely easy to use
- Long-lasting effect
- Natural and organic ingredients
- Guaranteed non-burn formula if used in the right quantity as given by the company
- Customers complain about uneven fertilization
- Best for smaller areas
9. Jacks Classic Hydrangea Fertilizer
This J R Peters fertilizer is one of the best fertilizers for strawberries that is water-soluble. It has the nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium (NPK) ratio of 7-3-3. This fertilizer particularly enhances the blue flowers in the hydrangeas. But that does not mean that it does not work on other colored flowers.
The recommendation of using Jack’s Classic Hydrangea fertilizer is at the time of plantation and secondly at the sign of first growth.
One tablespoon of this solution is enough for 1-gallon water. Rest of the detailed instruction is given on the container. Just try to avoid spreading it on the leaves and the stem as it can cause damage to them. It comes in a very user-friendly tin container.
- Enriches blue flowers
- Easy to use water-soluble formulation
- Sturdy and user-friendly packaging
- The price is a bit high
10. EarthPods Fruit & Citrus Plant Food
This made in USA fertilizer is the last one of the best fertilizers for strawberries. This is a premium quality fertilizer to boost the growth of the roots, leaves, and flowers.
This is best suitable for all kinds of citrus organic dwarf fruit trees. The pods are extremely easy to use.
Spread the center of the plant and pour plenty of water. It contains a wide range of nutrients, minerals, growth hormones, humic and fluvic acids.
Plus, it contains beneficial microbes in a perfect balance that enhances the power of the soil. The pods come in a recyclable paperboard package that contributes this product to be more eco-friendly. And lastly, the EarthPod capsules are 100% safe for your pets and children.
- It is ideal for both indoor and outdoor plantation
- No bad odors
- Fast and extremely easy to apply
- Contains no harmful chemicals
- Safe for children and pets
- Will not be enough for large scale firming
- It takes a lot of time to mix with the soil properly
1. What Are The Most Common Types Of Strawberry Fertilizers?
Generally, you can find strawberry fertilizers in one of the two forms:
- Granules: Granular form of fertilizers are easier to apply. That is also one of the main reasons thy are mainly used by the majority. Always go with the quantity suggested and scatter the granules around the root of the plant.While some might suggest you apply granules under the drip areas, others prefer spreading it between the rows. Just make sure not to put the granules over the leaf. Chances are it might burn them.
- Liquid: Liquids are harder to use as compared to granules. Particularly on windy days, it becomes hard to actually apply the same. In order to properly use liquid fertilizers, always look into the instructions.You can easily use large sprayers to use liquid fertilizers. One of the biggest advantages is that you don’t have to worry about burning leaves or to damage the crop in the process.
2. What To Do Before Applying Fertilizer?
The pre-fertilizing process is very important to understand, especially where strawberry is concerned. One of the biggest versatility of strawberries is that they can actually grow in any setting.
So depending on the feeding of your plant, the quality of the yield depends. There are several precautions that you need to take before applying the fertilizer.
For starters, make sure that you plant the seeds where it can receive at least 6 hours of direct sunlight. The soil drainage should be USDA zones 5-8. Make sure that your strawberries get a very rich and fertile soil. It can provide them with enough room to grow.
3. How To Properly Fertilize Strawberry Plants?
During the time of early spring and late fall, strawberries require an ample amount of nitrogen. While going with 10-10-10 fertilizer, the right quantity is to use one pound of fertilizers for every 20 foot row of strawberries.
For the plants which are one year old, make sure to use fertilizers at least once in a year. The best time is from the middle of summer but not after September. This, in turn, can actually have an adverse effect on your crops.
The Importance Of Finding The Best Fertilizers For Strawberries
Although it is never easy to find the best fertilizers for strawberries and that is why we have properly curated this article.
Bear in mind that there are several factors that go into finding the right fertilizer. Lastly, make sure that you have a clear understanding of your strawberry plant; it can certainly help you with a better yield.