|1. Miracle-Gro||2. Espoma HT18||3. Shake ‘N Feed|
Hydrangeas are one of the most common staples of your garden. Owing to its lush foliage and the considerable size of the flower head, it looks like a shrub.
The blooming period is long, and so, it is essential for you to know how to take care of the plant and look after its growth. The feeding process can be simple, but the fertilization process is difficult.
It is vital that you apply the best fertilizer for hydrangeas, which ensures the provision of all the important nutritious factors to the plant.
Using organic fertilizer can be the best option. However, you need to know which composition will be the best for its growth.
We have shortlisted the potent fertilizers below to boost the plants health and the bloom of the hydrangeas. So check out the list of the best fertilizers that can successfully contribute to the plant’s growth and development.
Top 10 Best Fertilizers For Hydrangeas 2020
1. Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Azalea
It is suitable for acid loving plant to succeed. If you are growing azalea, camellia, gardenia, hibiscus, holly, hydrangea, orchid, or rhododendron, this fertilizer by Miracle –Gro is perfect for your usage.
You need to feed it every 7-14 days to feel the difference. It will not only offer numerous blooms, but give you flower a beautiful color that is eye soothing.
You can use feeder jar or watering can to mix the Miracle- Gro with a gallon of water, to spray it on the base of the plants. It has received great reviews from customers for its easy usage, water solubility, and considered it a value for money.
- Available in different quantity packs
- Promotes quick root growth
- Ideal for acid loving plants
- Rich in iron and nutrients
- Miracle-Gro Garden Feeder or your watering can be used
- Easy to use and a value for money
- It can cause burns sometimes
2. Espoma HT18 Holly Tone
This one is the best choice of all the professional gardeners. And so, it is the best fertilizer for hydrangeas and other similar acid-loving plants. If you are into organic gardening, then this is your best choice.
The natural ingredients of the fertilizer include the bone meal, feather meal, poultry manure, green sand, and alfalfa meal. There is also the presence of 624 units of Bacillus licheniformis that can form colonies.
The addition of humic acid and microbes makes it the best fertilizer for hydrangeas.
For applying it on the shrubs, add one up of the product for each foot of the branch spread. For the branch spread higher than 3 feet, you need to use 2 cups. But for the newly potted plants, it will be 2 cups per cubic foot of the available soil.
- It is organic and long lasting
- Perfect choice for acid loving plants
- No requirement for assembly
- Contains proprietary bio-tone from which the nitrogenous microbes derive nutrition
- Specific formulation for Hydrangeas
- Lesser options for the four or three packs
3. Shake ‘N Feed Rose And Bloom Plant Food
As a result, nutrition from the bacteria will promote the growth of the Hydrangeas. You can apply the feed to your ground plants and if you are growing the plant in containers.
It contains all natural ingredients like kelp, earthworm castings, feather meal and bone meal. This is mostly used on existing flowers plants or roses. It needs to be added below the soil for three months to see the difference. Customers have appreciated its easy usage, spread, and the scent of the product.
- It contains natural ingredients, and feeds microbes
- Promotes better bloom and color
- Prevents weed growth
- Feed up to 3 months
- Sometimes the leaves turn yellow on its contact
4. Espoma GSUL6 Soil Acidifier
It is a natural soil acidifier with high effectivity on the plants that last for months. You can use it for both soil amendment and plant feed. It is one of the best fertilizers for hydrangea as it reduces the acidity of the soil for optimum plant growth.
This 6 pound bag is ideal for organic gardening. Espoma turns the hydrangeas into blue. Customers have appreciated its easy usage and value for money.
- Buying the option of the 6-pound packet
- Natural soil acidifier and lower soil pH
- Ingredients include high purity mineral.
- The hydrangea may turn white if soil condition is not acidic
5. Dr. Earth Organic & Natural Acid Mini Lover Fertilizer
The formulation comes from the founder Dr. Earth through collaboration with the world-class environmentalists.
They have made this product in U.S.A, to boost the quality of the soil and maximum flowering. Customers have appreciated its organic nature and easy usage.
- Only the non-GMO project verified fertilizer
- Pure and transparent
- No toxic ingredients and safe to use
- Safe for pets and people
- Presence of multiple minerals, carbohydrates, humic acid, and proteins
- Can be the source of mold growth
6. Jobe Rose Fertilizer Spikes
You need to feed the roots with the 9-12-9 fertilizer for the best results. The active ingredients like potash, magnesium, nitrogen, calcium, and sulfur make the product the best fertilizer for hydrangeas.
This is not a surface fertilizer that will wash away with the rainwater.
The spikes offer two special advantages, the first one being the provision of the application of the exact quantity of necessary fertilizer.
The second one is the absence of chemical runoff. For the best results, hammer the spikes inside the soil, and keep them underneath the largest branch ends with even spacing.
But be sure to apply the spikes just around the hydrangea. Otherwise, only the portions coming in contact with the spikes will blossom instead of the entire plant. The determination of the number of spikes will depend on the diameter of the plant.
- Spikes are reseal able, waterproof pouch
- No smell or hazards
- Feeds for eight weeks underground
- Spikes are easy to use
- Not good for plants in containers
- Not economical for use on a large scale
7. Jobe Organic Soil Acidifier
Fertilizer is best when it has a combination of entirely natural ingredients along with the granular texture, which is the best for application to the roots directly. And this product is the right choice for providing Sulfur to your acid-loving hydrangeas. It will add to the nutritional factors of the soil. You can witness a darker green growth in the plant.
The hydrangeas will turn from pink to blue. There is the certification of the product for not containing any synthetic chemicals. You may need to reapply the fertilizer for at least twice or thrice in a year for the most effective growth and the desired blooming.
- No burns on the plant
- 6 pound bag aids in easy pour
- Apply at planting and twice or thrice in a year later
- Can have a different reaction if you don’t check the pH of the soil before application
8. Bonide Bnd56428 Bailey’s Color Me Blue
The product is a great soil additive. Once you apply the fertilizer, the Hydrangeas will immediately turn blue. It also proves that the product is lowering the soil pH immediately on the application. The pH ranges from 5- 5.8, which makes it the best soil additive.
The soil bacteria are going to convert the elemental sulfur present in the product to create sulfuring acid that lowers the soil pH. It’s easy usage and measuring scoop is a plus point.
- It boosts the blue blooms of hydrangea
- Contains 90% elemental sulfur
- Not harmful to the plant or soil
- Test soil pH before application to avoid burns
9. Jr Peters Jacks Classic No.7-3-3 Hydrangea fertilizer
The presence of aluminum sulfate promotes the growth of vibrant flowers. The micronutrients support the fast growth of the plant.
The packaging of the product deserves special mention with a focus on the heavy-duty metal tin that will safely store the product and protect it from moisture exposure.
The user-friendly packaging aids in easy application. You won’t have to waste time fumbling with the container.
- Built-in flow control mechanism
- Rubberized grip to make it slip-resistant
- One finger triggers lock
- Seven spray patterns
- Phosphorus runoff can contaminate underground water
- A bit expensive
10. Jack’s All-Purpose 20-20-20 Plant Food
You can apply the feed through both the roots and the leaves. The nutrient release continues for four months to boost vigorous growth.
The blend with the micronutrients has a special impact on providing special nutrition to the roots and the green, thick foliage. If you apply in the right procedure, there will be no burns on the leaves.
- Measuring spoon inside the pack for the correct application
- Best safety factors
- Proper 1:1:1 blend of the nutrients
- Produces phosphorus runoff water that can threaten water quality
1. How Does Slow-Release Of The Fertilizer Help?
It is essential that the fertilizer releases slowly into the soil. The sudden change in the pH of the soil will otherwise upset the rest of the plants. It is best if the fertilizer keeps on releasing over 3 to 4 months. It will keep on adding acidity to the soil, which supports the blue bloom of hydrangeas.
2. What Is The Importance Of Various Elements?
The addition of the macro-elements like sulfur and phosphorus along with magnesium can do wonders for the growth of the plant. To maintain a proper balance of all these elements, you need to check the composition of the best fertilizer for hydrangeas.
3. Should I Fertilize If I Have Weeds?
Yes, because a fertilizer will destroy the growth of weed in and around the roots of the plant. This feature is essential in a fertilizer as the weeds take up much of the soil nutrients and hinder the growth and the bloom of the plant. The product should get rid of the weeds, along with providing nutrients and minerals to the soil.
4. Why Should We Consider The Price Range Of The Fertilizer?
There can be significant variations in the price of the fertilizers of different companies. It is always cheaper to buy the bigger packs, which usually cost under $20. On the contrary, the smaller packs of 1 or 1.5lbs cost around $17 even and so, not an economical option for you if you have a large garden.
5. What Is NPK?
The NPK ratio of fertilizer indicates the proportion of the mixture of the three major nutrients in the product. Detect the nutrient deficient in your soil and then buy the one with the higher proportion of that nutrient. For the yellow and wilting plant, the best fertilizer for hydrangeas must contain a high nitrogen amount, implying that the first number of the ratio should be the highest.
6. Is It True That Fertilizers Are Used To Boost In Blooming?
The chief aim of applying fertilizer is to increase the bloom of the flowers, more leaf growth, and to increase the size of the hydrangea. So it is always important to check the ingredients. Go for the ones that will provide you with multiple benefits.
7. Why Prefer Root Application?
Try to buy the ones which you can apply to the roots only. Sometimes, the fertilizer may cause burns to the leaves while applying it. You may make mistakes in the proportion of the application of the fertilizer, and the acidic nature of the product can cause burns.
8. Does Hydrangea Need Fertilizers?
Fertilizers are only necessary if your soil is not much acidic or lacks nitrogen. However, too much nitrogen can harm the plant and cause excessive leaf growth instead of much bloom. The yellowing of the leaves indicates the nitrogen deficiency that calls for the immediate application of fertilizers. Many fertilizers also improve the way the soil works by helping it to retain water better and allowing air to flow freely, which is good for roots.
9. Is Color Change The Sole Preference For Buying The Fertilizer?
Before buying, decide whether you want to keep the natural color of the flowers, or you want the blue ones. If the blue flowers are your favorite, then chose a fertilizer that can lower the soil pH below 6. It will make the soil acidic enough to change the colors of the flowers to blue. But if you want o keep the soil alkaline for pink or red flowers, then buy a fertilizer that won’t lower the pH.
10. How To Detect The Right Time To Feed The Hydrangea?
The plant’s growing season is the best time to feed, which is mostly early spring and the late summer. A slow-release fertilizer will keep on supplying the nutrients over time, as the quantity necessary for the growth is not much high. You also have to follow the feeding time mentioned on the fertilizer for each product with different proportions and effectiveness.
11. How To Make The Hydrangea Bloom Bigger?
Always plant the hydrangea in full sunlight and water them during the drought periods. Add the best fertilizer for hydrangeas that do not contain any synthetic chemicals. Amend the soil with organic matter. Finally, pruning is equally essential during early spring for better growth of the new branches.